TomKat Divorce – FAQ’s as well as Answers
Every time a celebrity divorce is usually filed, my phones are ringing off the hook via curious reporters. I have compiled a list of well-liked questions as well as my answers for your inquiring minds.
1. Will of which be an expensive divorce?
Divorce is usually usually expensive when of which is usually litigated. of which might only be litigated if there are issues of which cannot be resolved. Here, the couple had a prenuptial agreement which likely might resolve all of their financial issues, including community property as well as spousal support. The ONLY issue of which a prenup CANNOT resolve is usually issues about child custody or child support. So, if the couple were to litigate, of which might be on these issues alone.
2. Will being a Scientologist hurt Tom Cruise from the custody proceedings?
Not necessarily. In all 50 states, the courts look to the “best interests of the children” in awarding custody. Lots of factors, some other than religion, might be looked at in awarding custody. Tom isn’t going to automatically lose custody solely because he is usually a Scientologist. He won’t win custody over of which either.
Also, depending on how faithful Tom is usually to his religion, I highly doubt he will go great lengths to do anything of which might be harm the religion’s reputation. As I stated in my quote to Newsweek/Daily Beast, Tom carries a lot of secrets to protect, as well as a lot of money to protect them.
I predict This kind of divorce will settle without much ado about nothing.
3. Will filing in brand new York give Katie an advantage?
California courts prefer joint custody. I have heard of which brand new York courts are more prone to sole custody, either legal or physical. Katie Holmes has requested joint physical as well as sole legal custody.
brand new York courts seal files to preserve privacy. California courts are not so enthusiastic about sealing files.
4. Will Tom Cruise completely lose custody?
Katie Holmes has not requested sole physical custody. Tom is usually still Suri’s daddy! Tom will still be able to see Suri. Katie only requested sole LEGAL custody, which is usually the decisionmaking power over the child. Arguably, This kind of has something to do with RELIGION, so she can naysay Scientology. However, legal custody also deals with education, healthcare decisions, as well as some other general welfare. Perhaps Katie is usually requesting sole legal custody simply because she has always been the one creating decisions in Suri’s life.
5. The couple is usually worth $275 million! Will Katie get half?
Katie will get whatever of which says from the prenup, plus child support which will be determined by law. Since Tom is usually not a stranger to marriages or prenups, of which’s pretty certain of which his prenup is usually ironclad, as well as both parties know exactly where they stand financially.
6. Will This kind of divorce ruin Tom Cruise’s reputation?
This kind of is usually not an appropriate question for a divorce lawyer, who is usually also a big fan of Tom Cruise as well as Katie Holmes.
Lessons to Learn
1. Always, always get a solid, clear prenup. Marriage is usually grand! Divorce is usually 150-grand.
2. If you are getting married, be equally yoked in religion. Depending on what religion you are, as well as how devout you are in practicing of which religion, you should probably find the same in a spouse. I suppose a non-practicing Christian can marry a non-practicing Jew as well as still live happily ever after. although, a hardcore Scientologist marrying a hardcore Muslim might probably not work out.
3. If you are getting married, as well as plan to have children – should probably have some joint counseling as to how you will raise your children. Education? Religion? Discipline?
4. Marriage, as well as especially marriages creating children – should be taken much more seriously than all This kind of crap we read in tabloids. Enough said.
Until the next Hollywood divorce saga, I remain
Very truly yours,
Los Angeles Divorce as well as Family Lawyer
Kelly Chang Rickert
TomKat Divorce – FAQ's, Etc.