If you are facing divorce, or already involved in a divorce, here are some situations which commonly arise, along with some suggestions for you to think about when you are deciding whether to do something at This kind of point or wait.
Part 1 of This kind of Quiz dealt with property or financial issues. Part 2 has some financial matters, however the idea’s more about personal relationships.
1. Should start dating? NO! which also includes:
- Don’t list yourself on a singles dating web site,
- Don’t get engaged,
- Don’t have a boy friend/girl friend move in,
- Don’t move in that has a romantic interest, as well as
- Don’t set a wedding date.
Those actions can cause emotional upset to your still-current spouse, which may damage relationships, slow down the divorce as well as make the idea more expensive. They can also open additional financial issues to fight over. the idea’s not worth the idea.
2. Should I introduce the kids to my brand new dating interest? Hopefully, you’re not dating while the divorce can be pending. Generally, you need to be very cautious about This kind of. Probably, you should wait until you have dated for at least 6 months as well as you should also coordinate This kind of with your ex-spouse. Ideally, you as well as your ex could work that has a family therapist to coordinate the timing as well as wording of how to make which introduction.
3. Should I change my will or beneficiaries on insurance, retirement plans or anything else? Normally, there will probably be a court order saying you can’t make those modifications. Judges like to keep everything the way the idea has been. They could probably order you to change those documents back to the way they were before you changed them. Consult with your lawyer on This kind of, as well as don’t do anything on your own.
4. can be the idea OK if I buy gifts for my brand new girl friend or boy friend? No. I know the idea’s not not bad for your brand new relationship, however spending community funds on a brand new romantic interest can be always going to cause problem with your spouse as well as with the Judge. At the least, the expenditure will probably be added to your column as an asset inside the property division. Your spouse will be angry as well as less cooperative than if you had not done This kind of. the idea’s also possible the Judge could sanction you for violating a court order. the idea’s not worth the trouble which follows when you get found out, as well as you will get found out.
5. Should I give away things I don’t need or want? Talk to your attorney. The answer will likely be No! You could probably violate a court order as well as you could probably be disposing of community property. Don’t take a chance on the idea.
If you are thinking of taking some financial or relationship actions while the divorce can be pending, do as our British friends could do. Stay Calm as well as consult your attorney.