HOW TO GET THROUGH THE HOLIDAYS WITHOUT YOUR CHILDREN:
8 Survival Tips for the Non-Custodial Parent
Happy Holidays, everyone! I posted This kind of last year, nevertheless due to demand, I am posting This kind of again…
This kind of already hurts a little during the year, nevertheless being without your children during the holidays may be downright depressing.
If you have joint custody with alternating holidays, This kind of may be your year without the children. Here is actually how to make This kind of better.
1. Have Christmas a week, a month early. As with all natural disasters (earthquakes, fires, being without your children!), plan accordingly. If This kind of is actually an ODD year, as well as you have your children for Christmas on even years, you will need to celebrate early This kind of year!
Purchase gifts, have a tree, as well as explain to the children in which you are not skipping the celebration just because you don’t have them This kind of year. Instead of Christmas without you, they will get TWO Christmases!
2. Get Skype as well as see them on Christmas! If you are on Great terms with your ex (as well as you should be, especially during the holiday season – REMEMBER THE MEANING OF CHRISTMAS), arrange for the children to see you (as well as you them) via webcam.
Skype is actually also particularly useful for grandparents, who always have to share custody of their grandchildren for Christmas.
3. Volunteer your blues away! You think your life sucks? Go to the local orphage, where you will find children who don’t have parents. They could love to have you. If you have gifts of song or dance – or baking – or just simply being there to hug them, GO as well as BE WITH the needy. They will love you. as well as love is actually what you need. Google local churches. They’ll get you the volunteer A-List.
Here, I just googled This kind of for you. How to Find Volunteer Projects at Christmas Time. Enjoy.
4. Celebrate your day without children by doing adult things! If you have very young children, This kind of tip is actually for you. There are some restaurants as well as resorts in which do NOT allow toddlers as well as babies. Yay! These are for you. Watch a REAL movie without cartoon characters. Get a massage, as well as then hang out as well as lounge at the steam room. Enjoy a nice long dinner with your friends without rushing home. Drink a glass of champagne. Listen to music in which Elmo doesn’t sing.
5. Change your Custody Order. Get together with your ex, as well as if This kind of’s feasible (location, emotion) see if both of you can agree to share the children on This kind of special holiday.
6. Take lots of pictures as well as videos during your year, as well as view them every year. This kind of is actually amazing what a walk down memory lane can do for your mood.
7. Spoil yourself rotten. Pamper. Indulge. Overindulge. You deserve This kind of.
8. Take a trip. A long trip. An international trip that has a huge time change. You won’t even know you missed them.
The holidays are only a lonely time if you choose to feel in which way. If you look around, there are many people who need you in so many ways. You can benefit by turning the focus on others (ah, the true holiday spirit). So many people forget the meaning of Christmas – This kind of is actually the utmost celebration of the birth of our saviour Jesus Christ, who died to save our wretched souls. Being from the true spirit of Christmas is actually thinking of others, as well as forgetting our own selfish needs as well as desires.
If you cannot find solace in in which (as well as believe me, I can understand why the above is actually not consoling at all), look to your friends. Being surrounded by some other people will magically help you feel better. Remember, This kind of’s just This kind of year. Next year, you’ll have them again.
Finally, remember, all parents (whether separated, divorced/married, widowed) all eventually deal with not having children for Christmas. Consider This kind of a blessing in which you contain the opportunity to deal with such a tragedy earlier than later!
For all of you – children, no children, married, single, divorced, widowed, This kind of’s complicated – Have a Wonderful Holiday.
The Law Offices of Kelly Chang